Dee Moyza's Story Archive

Lacuna

"Good morning, Cloudbank," Wave boomed into the microphone before him.  "It's 9:35 on a gorgeous Tuesday, and just a reminder: all votes for the general election must be cast before noon tomorrow.  Get to your nearest terminal and do your civic duty.

"If you remain undecided, maybe I can be of some help.  I've got the intrepid Niola Chein in the studio with me this morning, to talk about the proposal she has on the ballot, for something called the Goldwalk Channel.  Good morning, Niola; how are you?"

Niola smiled and leaned toward her microphone.  "Very well, thanks."

"So, Goldwalk Channel—what is it?  Can you give our listeners an idea of how it will benefit Cloudbank?"

"Certainly, Wave.  Goldwalk Channel will be a gallery space between Goldwalk Boulevard and Goldwalk Plaza, featuring art by those whose work and views are traditionally ignored in this city."

"Care to elaborate?"

"Yes.  This is a space to showcase the creativity of the working class and the disenfranchised among us, those whose jobs and social status preclude them from influencing the development of Cloudbank, and sometimes, from even voting on the weather."

"I see.  And what inspired this idea?"

"My experience in Goldwalk.  Seeing so many lives and backgrounds intersect in the neighborhood, but not seeing that diversity reflected in either the politics or artwork of Cloudbank."

Wave nodded.  "Interesting proposal.  But it doesn't seem the Administrators have warmed to it too much.  They placed it in direct competition with the proposal to develop a metro line between Goldwalk and Highrise.  Given that, how do you see your chances?"

"I believe it's an unfair choice to present the voters," Niola said simply.  "No matter the outcome, Goldwalk stands to lose.  But I believe it will lose much more if the Channel is not approved."

"Strong sentiment.  But your chances?"

"I believe my proposal stands a good chance of winning.  It will fill a lacuna in creative and political representation in Cloudbank.  I think people recognize this lacuna, though they might not be able to articulate what it is."

"And what gives you that impression?"

"The rate of change in the city.  I have looked into the archives, and found that the rate at which citizens vote to change the layout and function of structures is climbing at a rate not seen in the records that are available.  People are dissatisfied; a society that values some voices over others tends to stagnate over time."

"That's a bold claim."

"And I stand by it.  We must hear and recognize the voices of everyone that lives in Cloudbank in order to achieve the ideals to which we claim to aspire.  To be free, fair, vibrant, and, most importantly, accessible to all."

"An admirable goal.  Good luck, Niola.  Goldwalk Channel versus Highrise Metro—Proposition 53 on the ballot.  Remember, votes due tomorrow at noon!" 

Going to commercial, Wave gave a melancholy grin.  "I mean it, Niola.  Good luck.  And, no matter what anyone says, stay strong."